Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Journaling

Today in my institute class, my teacher referenced his journal several times. In telling stories of his past, he said "you should have seen what I wrote in my journal." He talked about how journals can be sources of revelation, etc, etc. I've heard that a million times, and I sort of believe it. I may have actually experienced it--that is how I convinced myself that serving a mission would be a good thing. (Yes, Mel, I actually went on a mission. Hard to believe, I know, but there you go.)

Anyway, he kept using his own journal as an example of things that he had learned, and it really impressed me. I wrote down in my own journal that I need to start using it as a source of revelation.

And no, these musings are not going to lead me to promise that I will use my blog as a journal, or even that I will post more often in my blog. Because let's be honest, I won't be able to keep any such promises.

I just wanted to say that on the bus ride home to grandma's, I wrote in my journal. The whole time. I didn't want the ride to stop--and I usually don't particularly enjoy the ride to grandma's. I didn't receive any revelations, but it was a very cathartic experience--almost like talking to an enraptured (right word? no idea) best friend who has her attention fully focused on me. It was beautiful.

I made a list of all the things that suck in my life, and then I started a list of all the things that rock. Making the first list was painful, but I was able to break down my challenges into individual, almost quantifiable list items. As I isolated them and faced them one by one, they seemed a little bit more manageable. (No, I won't list them here. That would be awkward.)

Now I need to go finish making the list of the things that rock in my life. I may actually post that one.

This is the end of my blog post.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I would like to personally thank you for updating your blog. You know I love it and you. I can't believe you didn't tell me you went on a mission though. That's just rude.

Where's the list of the things that rock in your life? I WANT MORE.

Sara Diane said...

Ok here is my list
Melissa
Melissa
Melissa
Melissa
Melissa
Melissa
Melissa
Cupcakes.
Melissa
Feel my heart
Melissa

jk I will give you a real one