I had the privilege of being born first in my family. I was the oldest grandchild on both sides of the family (read: I was super spoiled). When my sister Laura was born, my world changed. For the better? I sure didn't think so. Apparently when she was a little innocent infant resting peacefully in a baby swing, I ran up to her, grabbed her head, and bit her on the forehead till she bled.
Rude! I know. But how else could I be expected to act, given that suddenly, for no good reason, the world stopped revolving around me. I no longer had the undivided attention of every adult I ever met.
Sometimes I wonder if I ever recovered.
I still love and need and crave attention. But let's be honest. Who doesn't? We all want to be noticed and validated. But maybe an internal overemphasis on validation is slightly unhealthy. There really is no need to base worth and value on other people's opinions of you. Sometimes it is better not to care.
. . . but boy, pure, unadulterated attention can be bliss. :-)
This public service announcement is brought to you by Ashley, the youngest Smith family attention-sucker:

No comments:
Post a Comment