Monday, May 20, 2013

A Little Bit of Luck

I had never won anything—not Scrabble, not even elementary-school Bingo—until 11 days ago.

That's when I got this email:

To be honest, I didn't remember entering any such contest, but I dug around online and confirmed that it was legit. And I confirmed that I won.

Booh. Freaking. Yah.

I won.

I won a Garmin GPS running watch worth $200. Joy of joys!!! I am a winner, a real winner at last!

. . . and then I totally forgot about it. Until a package came for me in the mail. I was so confused as to why I would get a package—I didn't order anything, it wasn't my birthday, it wasn't addressed in my mom's or my grandma's handwriting. Still totes perplexed, I pulled open the box. And found this:


Yes. My running watch had arrived. As I totes forgot it was coming, discovering it inside the mysterious box made me feel like I had won all over again.

Now, mind you, this watch is Fancy. Yes, with a capital F. Here's another look:


So Fancy, in fact, that it came with three owner's manuals:

 Seriously. Who knew watches could be so complicated? I didn't even know watches could have a GPS. And this watch is so Fancy that it needs to be plugged into the wall to charge. Like a freaking cell phone. Here's the charger, which also adapts to plug into the computer to track and save all my runs:


Here it is coming out of the packaging. The long black thingy is, yes, a heart-rate monitor. So I can monitor my heart. This thing is seriously like the Fanciest, most expensive non-essential object I own.


Today I took it on a real run. As I hit the pavement, it told me how far I had run, how long it was taking, and what my pace was (which is embarrassingly slow, but at least I run, right?). Totes legit! Here is a pic of the watch after my run. The top number is the distance (in miles); the big number in the middle is the time, and at the bottom is my pace. and the tan, luscious thing it is sitting on is my arm. (Feast your eyes!)



 Yep, I am so cool. I am a winner. I have a new running buddy; I will totes be prepared for my halfie in July. This is me looking oh so fierce (and sweaty) after my watch's inaugural run.




You wish you were this cool.

Peace out.