Dear Internet,
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope your holiday was as glorious and
gluttonous as mine.
This week my parents drove up from California to dine with
me—and with other family members too, of course—and brought with them a
giant box filled with goodies from my mission for the LDS Church, mostly letters
and such. Having just moved to the Bay Area, the parentals were probably sick
of lugging my stuff around California. Fair enough—I took the box off their
hands.
![]() |
| Box of mission goodness |
And spent the whole night reliving my beautiful mission in
eastern Washington and Oregon though letters from friends, family, strangers,
and people I met on the mish.
I also saved and read through all of my missionary
planners—little calendar booklets with two pages for every day for six weeks, used by missionaries to plan appointments and set goals. I
have thirteen of them, all decorated with stickers and family pictures and
pages cut from Church magazines.
![]() |
| Missionary planners |
Reading through these planners, I rediscovered the beauty of weekly planning. Every week missionaries take a few morning hours to review the week, discuss the
people they're teaching, and make personal and companion goals. Some weeks I hated the tedium and time this required—but overall
weekly planning was lovely and beneficial. (And not just because it meant
spending a morning at home and not knocking doors . . . .)
Even more lovely was the practice of regularly setting personal goals. I learned that goals are how we become someone, how we develop from the person we were to the person we are. Of course, we can develop and change without trying. But if
we don’t purposefully exert force or effort or action ourselves,
then we will have no real say in who we become. We will instead be
shaped by inertia or experience or circumstance. We will be acted upon.
By making and keeping goals, we act against inertia and
shape our own selves into someone we choose to be. We claim our right to have a
say in our own “destiny.” Goals are tools we leverage in creating our lives and
our character—so set them often and set them well.
![]() |
| Fact from planner no. 2 |
I’m done preaching. Phew. Moving on.
So I got a huge kick out of reading though my missionary
planners to find the weekly goals I set each week. These often silly, sometimes
profound, goals gave me a fun way to remember and document my mission—and how a
map of how it created a different, better version of the person I already was.
My missionary service changed me—through experience, of course, but also
through the ritual of consciously setting and consciously seeking to keep goals
according to my current situation and struggles.
These goals gave me fun insights into myself and into the
daily life of missionaries. I noticed that I set some of the same goals over
and over again—for example writing in my journal, asking for referrals, and
exercising. Many, many goals focused on smiling, optimism,
positivity, and not complaining. Today I consider myself to be a relatively
positive, optimistic, non-complaining person (hopefully you agree!)—one example of how my
mission goal-making shaped me.
In a spirit of nostalgia, I’ve recorded below some of the
goals I set as a missionary. Enjoy!
Sister Smith’s
Missionary Goals
Pray for charity
Smile
Don't say things, houses, streets, places, or people are
ugly (yes, this is for real, word for word, haha)
Learn and write down something new about each person I meet
Remember when it is my turn to give the dinner thought
Be myself
Put more trust in the Lord
Be happy in the morning
Talk more
Learn the streets where people live
Follow morning schedule
Don’t be sloppy
Be more charitable
Lose 10 lbs
Run 1 mile
Be grateful, not self-centered
Work harder
Do not eat sweets!
Ask for referrals
Stop complaining
No chips or pop (note the local vernacular creeping in)
Pray at 8 a.m.
Come home on time
Look happy
Make my bed
Stay clean and organized
Be grateful
Be on time
Be more obedient
Be less proud
No contention
Pray better
Go to bed on time
Write in the area book
Stay with my companion (haha! I don’t remember struggling
with this)
Don’t be crabby or judgmental
Work harder
Don’t be lazy
Be more positive
Get better at tracting
Have a softer heart
Be more diligent
Organize stuff
Write to converts
Extend serious commitments
Involve the member more
Ask questions
Be happy (the follow-up to “look happy” above I guess)
Remember where things are
Be more bold
Expect miracles
Talk about positively about other people
Run 1 day this week
Be optimistic
Not get awkward (still need to work on this one)
Write letters
Optimism
Work on skills (wow, Sister Smith—so specific haha)
Ask for last names
Testify on door approach
Pray for people by name
Share personal experiences
Remember things my companion tells me
Not talk about myself
Focus more on the Savior
Don’t get frustrated
Follow my priesthood leaders
Don’t bite my pen (probably a request from a companion?)
Study Christlike attributes
Save money
Talk less (I can’t believe I ever ever had to make this goal!)
Be less annoying (again, probably a companion request?)
Study the Atonement daily
Don’t complain
Never let a problem to be solved become more important than
a person to be loved
![]() |
| I wish I recorded why this day was so miraculous |
![]() |
| Apparently on one P-Day (a missionary's "day off"), Harry Potter came to hang out with me. |
![]() |
| A grocery shopping list—including knee-highs |
![]() |
| A good day to go to church |
![]() |
| Scripture of the transfer |
![]() |
| Planner no.13. It was a tradition to decorate your last planner with a temple—a semi-facetious reminder that your next mission is to find someone to marry. |
![]() |
| The back of my marriage planner |
![]() |
| I even recorded marriage advice for myself in this last planner: "don't ever let your mood get the better of you" |











No comments:
Post a Comment