Monday, December 3, 2007

The New Female Costume

“There was a most disgraceful exhibition of rowdyism in this city about dusk on Monday evening, growing out of the appearance on the street of a young lady dressed in the new, so-called, Bloomer costume. From the corner of Merrimack, she was followed from Central street, by a hissing, shouting rabble, which called around them an immense crowd of people anxious to see what was going forward. The young lady was in company with another female, and both walked along quite coolly, the impudent blackguards that followed not going so far as to lay hands on her . The City Marshal and posse, we understand, were at the same time quelling a like disturbance on the corner of Central and Middlesex streets. The affair, as we have before said, was most disgraceful. Let females wear what they please, no one save the proper officers should attempt any demonstration toward them. We don’t exactly like the Bloomer dress ourself, but for all that, we would not be the owl that takes the night to hoot it."

Poor girl! But some part of me thinks that she enjoyed it...I mean, wouldn't you? Think of it: crowds following me around campus, some amazed, some appalled, yet all insanely curious. Who is she? Why is she? What is this she wears? What audaciously amazing woman would dare step into the public sphere with such a hideous yet oddly fascinating and enchanting costume? If course, my roomy gray library t-shirt may not inspire such emotion, but my new sweater vests may…

Yes. I bought sweater vests. Two: a royal blue one, and a minty winter-green one. Cassie, Mellie, and I went shopping on Saturday for missionary clothes. What is it about sister missionaries and sweater vests? It seems like the two are inevitably inseparable. (You should know that I spelled the previous word correctly on the first try.) I wouldn’t exactly call sweater vests frumpy, but they get pretty close. They are cute and very conservative. I imagine that they are warm—or at least, warmer. I also have a suspicion that they help prevent missionaries from accidentally exposing themselves through little holes between the buttons on blouses.

Anyway. I am officially the proud owner (and not-yet-but-future wearer) of sweater vests. Sure wish I could the same thing about walking shoes, dresses, long skirts, blouses, winter coats, and all the etcs that want to steal my money.

1 comment:

weaselby said...

I just read this in physical science because this class is a waste of time, of course. I laughed a lot. Got a little obvious that I wasn't paying attention. But the girl next to me is on facebook. And our professor is often doing other stuff on his own computer when students are giving presentations. Anyways. You're brilliant and I love reading your stuff. A hammock in the void is originally from my Shakespeare professor's description of a film version of Hamlet. We watched the "To be or not to be/Get thee to a nunnery" clip and it was kind of toned as a flirtatious deal. Ophelia was lounging in a hammock and the background was all black. I like the phrase because it's a fun image. Swinging in a hammock, surrounded by nothing. Scary!! Nothing around you! You could roll off the hammock and fall forever until you starve to death and die and your body will keep falling. And yet...you're in a hammock. You're totally cool. Yeah.
Thanks for your beautiful blog.