I don’t know if you are as tickled by Brigham Young as I am. In case you are, here are excerpts from a sermon by Old Briggy given 6 Oct 1855, reprinted in The New York herald: NY-H no. 7083 (20 Jan 1856) p. 8. It is about not being too touchy about confessing your sins and receiving chastisement.
“Every fault that a person has will be made manifest, that it may be corrected by the gospel of salvation, by the laws of the Holy Priesthood.”
“I fear not the wicked half so much as I would a mosquito in my bedroom at night, for he would keep me from sleeping; but for the unrighteous, those who will act the villain and conduct themselves worse than the devil, to insinuate that I have not the privilege of speaking of their faults, makes me feel like laughing at their folly. I will speak of men’s faults when and where I please. And what are you going to do about it?”
When people criticize his harsh language: “Do you know how I feel when I get such communications? I will tell you: I feel just like rubbing their noses with them. If I am not to have the privilege of speaking of saint and sinner when I please, tie up my mouth and let me go to the grave, for my work would be done….There are people in our midst who grunt at this course, and at the same time have evils that I think are hardly worth notice, for I do not think that such persons will be good for anything, even should they happen to get into the kingdom of heaven….”
To thieves: “Live here, then, you poor miserable curses, until the time of retribution, when your heads will have to be severed from your bodies….the time of thieves is short in this community.”
“I am here to teach the ways of the Lord, and lead men to life everlasting, but if they have not a mind to go there, I wish them to keep out of my path.”
So roars the Lion of the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment