Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Utah Expedition

“We trust the Saints will decide upon such a move, and thereby relieve us of the disagreeable duty of exterminating them. In Sonora they would have the opportunity to develop the beauties of their religion, and if it contains within itself the seeds of its own destruction—as we all believe it does—it will crumble to pieces and disappear, and will be numbered with the numerous false religions that have sprung up and had their day, and are now only known in history.”

The New York herald: NY-H no. 7770 (10 Dec 1857) p. 4, columns 4–5, 24 ½ col. in

I like this quote because I find it ironic. Several newspapers have made similar statements, all expressing the idea that Mormonism will fall a part, especially after the government is through with it. Some say that Mormons have a persecution complex, and this is true. But seriously, read this article! They wanted to exterminate a group of people! Of course the Mormons were antsy and anxious and feeling a little anti-American! I don't know what our excuse is now, tho. Maybe the remains of such sentiments.

No comments: